Monday, June 28, 2010

"Tonight You Belong To Me"

OK, going WAY back: This '26 Rose/David composition was first recorded by Irv Kaufman in '26 and revived by Frankie Laine in '52. Patience and Prudence's '56 version peaked at #4. They lip-synced it on Ed Sullivan only to have the record get stuck on "belong" - oh those Milli Vanilli moments! Steve Martin learned to play the uke specifically to record it with Bernardette Peters for "The Jerk".

Yesterday's answer: Bakithi (Baghiti) Khumalo. Comment from dedicatee, Dr. Dan Rogers: "Ooh! Ooh! I know that one. I do. 'Cause I was just talking about him with a true rock wizard. Plus I looked it up on the album cover. It was Bakithi Kumalo. Every once in a while I used to see his name listed as bass player on other albums. I remember Cindi Lauper was one. Don't know the rest. But "Graceland" is one of my all time ... ".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULjCSK0oOlIBINGO! The bass work is astounding! Interestingly "You Can Call Me Al" peaked at #23, however, during a 1993 interview with Larry King, Paul Simon stated that it was "his favorite song" out of all he had written - quite a statement considering his body of work!

No comments:

Post a Comment