Wednesday, September 1, 2010

"Classical Gas" by Mason Williams.

OK, more 60's: This guitarist was working as head writer for "The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour" in '68 when he wrote and recorded this piece for guitar and orchestra. The original title was abbreviated by the publisher. It debuted on the show. Peaked at #2. Re-recorded on solo guitar in '70 and with Mannheim Steamroller in '87. Won 3 Grammys in '69. Special Citation by BMI in '98 as the top instrumental airplay tune of all time. Artist? Composition?


Yesterday's answer: "Wild World". One of Cat's best. I am SO glad Cat's (Yusuf) is back making music - he sounds the same! When I moved to Philly I took with me an old Vicente Tatay Spanish guitar - it "died" during the first winter there. I bought an Ovation Glen Campbell Acoustic Balladeer (all the rage at the time) and this was one of the first songs I played on it. http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DDHXpnZi9Hzs&h=34b4f

No comments:

Post a Comment